Theoi.com is the home of the Theoi Project, the largest and most comprehensive reference website dedicated to Greek mythology and representations of mythological figures in ancient Greek art and literature. It was created by Aaron J. Atsma from Aukland, New Zealond, with help from the libraries of the University of Aukland and Leiden University in the Netherlands. Established in 2000, the website contains more than 1,500 pages and 1,200 images. The website also has a library of classical literature on the theme of Greek mythology, including the works of many of the lesser-known poets.
AIn Aaron's own words, "The aim of the project is to provide a comprehensive, free reference guide to the gods (theoi), spirits (daimones), fabulous creatures (theres) and heroes of ancient Greek mythology and religion."
People and institutions who are using Theoi.
- NASA: Pluto's Newly Discovered Moons Receive New Names.
- MIT: Special Topics in Literature: Milton's Paradise Lost
- Harvard: Kosmos Society: an online community of Classical Studies
- Stanford: New Insulin drug named for goddess of starvation
- Yale: John Walsh Lecture Series